Monday, May 16, 2011

More Bears! by Kenn Nesbitt

More Bears! by Kenn Nesbitt (2010)

How fitting that the last post was also a bear book. All I have to say about that is "More Bears!"

What it's about: 
An author is writing a story with absolutely no bears in it, when he hears voices (the voices of children reading the story) who keep insisting on "more bears!"

Why I love it:
This book makes for a read aloud that is sheer fun. The children's voices in the book predictably call for "more bears" (except for the very end!), students quickly pick up on it and join in. And the bears who subsequently join the story are not just plain old bears, they each have quirky traits including an astronaut bear who "always kept a hamster in his pocket, just in case" and a bear named "Lucky Eddie who juggled carrots."

My favorite part:
I do love the loud groaning laughter I get at the end when it seems that the voices in the story are going to ask for more bears, but instead they surprise us by asking for "more chickens!"
But my favorite part is near the beginning when the bears being introduced just start to get silly, in particular a papa bear named "Captain Picklehead." It's right about Captain Picklehead's entrance that I can tell everyone is hooked.

Oh...and you really can't go wrong with any story that fits in a reference to underpants.


Other connections:
This is the sort of read aloud that will generate scads of holds with the primary set. Be ready.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! This looks like a great read-aloud and I'm always looking for ones that encourage kid interaction. Thanks for letting me know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! This is a new title for me, but I will need to find it- the humor seems to be right up my alley! Thanks for joining Book Talk Tuesday this week- I look forward to more posts from you! This is my 1st time at your blog- I need to go look around!
    KB

    ReplyDelete