Sunday, September 23, 2012

Caldecott Challenge 1960

1960 Medal Winner: 
Nine Days to Christmas
illustrated by Marie Hall Ets
written by Marie Hall Ets and Aurora Labastida 



What it's about:
Young Cici is excited to have a special piñata for her first posada.

What I like:
I really enjoyed Cici's excitement about getting to experience something she has been looking forward to for the first time. I love the pops of bright orange, yellow and pink on the pencil sketch style illustrations. Not only does it draw the eye to certain parts of the illustrations, but those particular colors highlight the traditional fabrics and clothing worn in the story.
I also really liked the magical feeling at the end of the story.

1961 Honor Books:


Houses from the Sea
illustrated by Adrienne Adams
written by Alice E. Goudey


What it's about:
Information about different types of shells is communicated through the story of a shell collecting beach visit.

What I like:
This is an accessible book for young students looking for introductory information about shells. I love the detailed drawings of shells with washed out colors echoing the feeling of being washed up on a beach. The feeling of the story and the illustrations reminded me a lot of the novel Junonia by Kevin Henkes.


The Moon Jumpers 
illustrated by Maurice Sendak
written by Janice May Udry
we're not children, we're the Moon Jumpers!

What it's about:
It's a warm summer night, and four children play outside their house in the moonlight.

What I like:
Pages alternate between lush, color double page spreads and pages with smaller black and white illustrations. Had I been on the committee, this would have been my pick for the winner.
I love the little boy who reminds me of a future Max, and how the children use their imaginations to enjoy the night.
My favorite line: "we climb a tree just to be in a tree at night"

Challenge Total: 109

More Cats of Caldecott:

top left: Nine Days to Christmas,
top right & bottom left:
Moon Jumpers,
bottom right:
Houses from the Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment