Saturday, June 15, 2013

Caldecott Challenge 1983-1985


I'm back at it, and determined to finish my Caldecott Challenge reading by the 75th Anniversary Celebrations coming up in Chicago at the ALA Annual Conference.




After all of the books were checked back in for summer at my library, I piled up the remaing Caldecott Challenge books, loaded them up, and brought them home. I'm ready!



My favorite "new to me" read: The Glorious Flight: Across the Channel with Louis Bleriot 
I had never heard of Bleriot, and his designs are fascinating. Pair this with some footage of the Bleriot XI that still flies today, and kids will be enchanted by the history.



The Bud's favorite: St. George and the Dragon. You can't beat those dragon-y, battle-y illustrations. His comment, "Whoa, good thing the dragon didn't land in the magic pond or under the healing tree!."

AND 

6 More Caldecott Cats! Find them in the pictures below.



1983 Medal Winner:
Shadow
by Marcia Brown



1983 Honor Books: 

A Chair for My Mother 
 by Vera B. Williams 


When I Was Young in the Mountains
 illustrated by Diane Goode
written by Cynthia Rylant


1984 Medal Winner:  
The Glorious Flight: Across the Channel with Louis Bleriot
by Alice & Martin Provensen


1984 Honor Books:

Little Red Riding Hood
by Trina Schart Hyman 


Ten, Nine, Eight
by Molly Bang


1985 Medal Winner:  
Saint George and the Dragon
illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman
retold by Margaret Hodges 


1985 Honor Books:

Hansel and Gretel
illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky
retold by Rika Lesser


Have You Seen My Duckling?
by Nancy Tafuri 


The Story of Jumping Mouse: A Native American Legend
by John Steptoe

Caldecott Challenge Total 1938-1985: 201


Read earlier Caldecott Challenge Posts

What's the Caldecott Challenge?











No comments:

Post a Comment