Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Caldecott Challenge 1990-1992

Welcome to the 90s!


This post covers my years in high school and starts a stretch of time when I don't remember reading any picture books. There are many familiar books in these Caldecott years, but I did not "meet" them until I became a teacher or librarian.

The Cupcake's favorite: "More More More," Said the Baby - Her response, "Let's do that one again!"

I wish I had read in high school: Bill Peet: An Autobiography - Reading it now I was fascinated by his connection to early Disney films. I know I would have loved reading this when it came out.
 
I also love that Bill Peet has another Caldecott connection - he had a big role in turning 1943 Caldecott Winner The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton into a Disney short. 
But... um... the book is soooo much better. 
See for yourself:



Most often checked out from my library: Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins. There is something about this trickster tale that kids in my library love. Any time of year, this one gets circs.

Favorite Cover: I love that Puss in Boots - probably not too much of a surprise after so many references to the "cats of Caldecott" that I would be drawn to one that is front and center on the cover.



 
and... 4 More Caldecott Cats - look for them in the pictures below.

1990 Medal Winner: 
Lon Po Po: A Red-Riding Hood Story from China 
by Ed Young
1990 Honor Books:
Bill Peet: An Autobiography 
by Bill Peet


Color Zoo 
by Lois Ehlert

The Talking Eggs: A Folktale from the American South
illustrated by Jerry Pinkney
written by Robert D. San Souci



Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins
illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman
written by Eric Kimmel

1991 Medal Winner: 
Black and White 
by David Macaulay

1991 Honor Books:
Puss in Boots
illustrated by Fred Marcellino
translated by Malcolm Arthur


"More More More," Said the Baby: Three Love Stories
 by Vera B. Williams



1992 Medal Winner:  
Tuesday 
 by David Wiesner

1992 Honor Book: 
Tar Beach 
 by Faith Ringgold












No comments:

Post a Comment